What can be taken into a visit?
A selection of refreshments is available to buy during the visit.
Click here for a full list of items that are allowed plus the penalties for taking items that are banned into the prison.
It is illegal to bring into prison a number of items including:
- Mobile phones (including any part of a mobile phone or charger)
- Any New Psychoactive Substances (NPS or Legal Highs), including products such as Spice and Black Mamba
If a visitor needs to bring any personal medication in with them, they must ensure they disclose this to staff before the visit.
If visitors are:
- Found in possession of any banned and unauthorised items
- Found passing them over to a prisoner
- Suspected of smuggling drugs or other unauthorised articles
the police will be called and the visitor may be arrested. This could result in a prison sentence or being banned from visiting all prisons.
If prisoners are found to be involved in smuggling drugs and other contraband though visits they will face a wide range of penalties including:
- Time added to their sentence
- A reduction in their privileges level
- Being placed on closed visits (prisoner is behind a glass screen for the visit)
If visitors are concerned about drugs, are being pressured to take banned items into the prison, or are concerned about someone else, they should contact the prison on 01302 760870 or CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111.